Derek focuses his practice primarily on environmental law, with an emphasis on contaminated properties. Derek advises clients under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Washington Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA) and other federal and state environmental laws.
Derek brings significant experience from his previous position as an Attorney with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in the Office of Site Remediation Enforcement, where he advised EPA attorneys and program clients on complex CERCLA issues, assisted in the drafting of EPA policies, developed compliance tools, served as a Special Assistant to two Acting Deputy Administrators, and assisted in the negotiation of administrative settlements. Prior to the EPA, Derek was a law clerk in the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) Division of Enforcement.
- Serves as outside environmental counsel to publicly traded corporations.
- Represents clients in the resolution of environmental claims and liabilities in real estate transactions.
- Assists clients with enforcement and programmatic issues arising under federal, state, and local laws, particularly those involving EPA.
Member, King County Bar Association (KCBA)
Member, KCBA Environmental and Land Use Section
Member, Washington State Bar Association (WSBA)
Member, WSBA Environmental and Land Use Law Section
Admitted, New York State Bar Association
Member, District of Columbia Bar Association (inactive)
- Presenter, U.S. EPA Special Accounts Annual Meeting (2010)
- Presenter, U.S. EPA National Financial Assurance Training Seminar (2010)
- Presenter, U.S. EPA Underground Storage Tanks Annual Meeting (2009)
U.S. EPA Acting Deputy Administrator’s Commendation (2017)
U.S. EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service (2015)
U.S. EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service (2013)
U.S. EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service (2012)
U.S. EPA Administrator’s Award for Exemplary Customer Service (2011)
U.S. EPA Administrator’s Gold Medal for Exceptional Service (2010)
U.S. SEC Division of Enforcement Director’s Award (2008)
LL.M., The George Washington University School of Law (2009)
J.D., cum laude, Seattle University School of Law (2005)
M.B.A., University of Colorado (2002)
B.A., University of Colorado (1996)
Derek spends most of his free time chasing around and raising his young son. He also enjoys cooking, hiking, and travelling.